It’s Time for the HCCMCA Fall Health Fairs
Each year, the Health Care Cost Management Corporation of Alaska (HCCMCA), also known as “the Coalition”, sponsors Health Fairs throughout the state of Alaska. These events give eligible, covered plan participants and family members easy access to preventive care services and low-cost health screening tests, including flu shots, blood screening, prostate-specific antigen testing, thyroid testing and vitamin D testing.
- Admission is free
- Bring your family
- All Health Fairs run from 8:00 am to noon
Lab Tests Available at the Health Fair
The Health Fair offers four low-cost preventive care lab tests to adults age 18 and over. Screenings like these can help you learn about your health and detect potential problems early on.
The costs for the lab tests may be paid by your health plan. Please contact your health plan for details.
- Chemistry/Hematology Profile: This comprehensive blood test screens kidney function, liver enzymes, electrolyte (salt) imbalance, diabetes, tissue disease or damage, coronary heart disease and more. Cost: $40 (may be paid by your health plan)
- We recommend that you fast for 12 hours before this test. This means you should have no food or drink except water. People with diabetes should NOT fast. In all cases, prescription medication should be taken.
- Thyroid Screen: You should have the Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) screen if you have a family history of thyroid problems, are a female over age 45, or are experiencing unexplained weight loss or gain, depression, memory loss or have a swollen thyroid. Cost: $30 (may be paid by your health plan)
- Prostate Disease Screen: Men should have this test annually starting at age 50. African-American men and men with a family history of prostate cancer should start screening at age 40. Cost: $25, $35 Soldotna (may be paid by your health plan)
- Vitamin D Screening: Vitamin D deficiency increases risk of heart disease, and is also linked to high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity. Screening is recommended for older adults, smokers, and people suffering from high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, kidney or liver disease, or heart disease. Cost: $25, $35 in Soldotna (may be paid by your health plan)
Other Services Also Available
- Flu Shots: Flu shots are available for health plan participants age 9 and older (13 and older in Juneau). The cost of these is fully funded by HCCMCA. Cost: FREE